Schenectady City School District Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Uniforms for Schenectady school district.

Go down 
+3
Mom2myKids
Sandra
mybigfamilyof9
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mybigfamilyof9

Uniforms for Schenectady school district. Empty
PostSubject: Uniforms for Schenectady school district.   Uniforms for Schenectady school district. EmptyWed 14 Jan 2009, 12:06 am

I believe that it would be a great idea for the students to wear uniforms.I believe each school should have their own colors and the high school definitely needs uniforms.Each house in Schenectady high school could have different colors too. The high school can open a school store with the uniforms and have students who take business courses run it. The extra money would help the school with expenses so it won't be too much budget cuts.

The reason why I say this is because I have 7 children and I have 3 that go to the high school.I feel that my children worry too much about fashion. everything in high school is who got what and who doesn't have the latest.I know there are families that do not have enough to buy food let alone new clothes. I see kids on the street, ask them why they are not in school and they say, I don't have anything to wear. It can be uncomfortable for kids in school. You try to tell them that going to school is not about wearing certain clothes but they do not understand that.My kids spend more time thinking about their outfit then they do on homework.
Where can I go to try to get an answer about this subject. Is it something we need too vote on?

Also if there is a family in need we can raise money to get them uniforms.What does everyone think?
Back to top Go down
Sandra

PostSubject: uniforms   Uniforms for Schenectady school district. EmptyWed 14 Jan 2009, 7:09 am

When we moved to Schenectady over the summer, I was concerned about whether my kids would fit in at the high school and what the kids wore. I caught the sales right before school and spent a small amount for some basic things. They don't have designer clothes, expensive shoes, etc but it has not been an issue at all. Maybe it is worse or different for girls.
Back to top Go down
Mom2myKids

PostSubject: Re: Uniforms for Schenectady school district.   Uniforms for Schenectady school district. EmptyThu 15 Jan 2009, 4:06 pm

Uniforms wouldn't bother me at all. I know as a teenager I would have complained about it, but secretly happy that I didn't have to worry about what I wore. As a kid it was hard for me to figure out what to wear, worry about the comments I'd get about it not being designer so I would have been happy to have been wearing the same thing as everyone else. I don't know how you could get uniforms for the district. I have no idea how parents can things to happen period.
Back to top Go down
mybigfamilyof9

PostSubject: School uniforms   Uniforms for Schenectady school district. EmptyFri 16 Jan 2009, 9:22 am

I will try to find out how to get more information on this. i think it would be a good thing and less distractions on who wearing what. There will be less jealousy and everyone competeing to be best dressed and instead can compete to have better grades. This is a problem all over kids thinking school is a fashion show. we want everyone to be comfortable in school and not second guessing what they got on and worrying all night about it instead of being focused on school work.
Back to top Go down
Mr.NHK

PostSubject: Re: Uniforms for Schenectady school district.   Uniforms for Schenectady school district. EmptyFri 16 Jan 2009, 12:10 pm

I am not saying whether I support uniforms or not, but here is my question.
If Uniforms were to be adopted,

First, the cost of the uniforms would have to cover the costs of producing them. If a portion of the money for Uniforms would help with budget cuts, How much more from base price would the uniforms cost?
Back to top Go down
whilis

PostSubject: Re: Uniforms for Schenectady school district.   Uniforms for Schenectady school district. EmptyMon 19 Jan 2009, 5:53 pm

about uniforms, it's the same in any other school district, and peer pressure is worse in the suburbs. Most parents who talk about this want uniforms so they don't have to battle with their kids in the morning. It's just one more way for parents to place responsibility with someone else.
I have 2 teenagers and a pre-teen, and I battle every day about what they can wear, but it's my battle because I'm the parent. It's not up to the school's to make it easier for us.
Back to top Go down
mybigfamilyof9

PostSubject: Re: Uniforms for Schenectady school district.   Uniforms for Schenectady school district. EmptyTue 20 Jan 2009, 12:11 am

The price would depend on how much it would cost wholesale.There are not many places to buy uniforms, and it depends on the color it will not be available everywhere else.They can take an available space in the schools and make an store.It would be nice to have school letters and we could have monogram, i don't have all the answers yet but just an idea. i think it will boost school morale too.

I am in no way shifting responsibility to the school.If i have a problem with what my child wears it is taken care of in the house. the problem is that it spills onto the school with all the children worrying about thier clothes and not school work. gossiping and such about what someone has and jealous that they do not have.
Back to top Go down
Fionna

PostSubject: Re: Uniforms for Schenectady school district.   Uniforms for Schenectady school district. EmptyTue 20 Jan 2009, 9:01 am

I just wonder how that would work out when one cannot afford the uniforms. If the school requires them, and a person cannot afford them, the school would likely be responsible for buying them. One can get free used clothing various ways, but if the clothing needs to be as specific as a uniform, that may be a different story.
Back to top Go down
tjd

PostSubject: agree with Fiona   Uniforms for Schenectady school district. EmptyTue 20 Jan 2009, 9:16 am

that is a good point. Parents get clothes from relatives, sales, second hand stores, etc and for at least the first year, uniforms could be a huge cost for families.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uniforms for Schenectady school district.   Uniforms for Schenectady school district. Empty

Back to top Go down

Uniforms for Schenectady school district.
Page 1 of 1