Schenectady City School District Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Talk About the Budget

Go down 
+17
Mom2myKids
Get Involved
Lakishia Martin
KMCB
ATAC
RLT
teachermom
Lucas
lafeal
Sandra
schdymom
Not a howe dad
neverfaraway
dockalc
greer
Irishwolf
Admin
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Not a howe dad

Talk About the Budget - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyFri 29 May 2009, 1:41 pm

I'm feeling another "no" vote coming on.
Back to top Go down
Sandra

PostSubject: a few positives   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptySat 30 May 2009, 10:20 pm

Even though we moved out of the district and back to Wisconsin in late March, I still try to keep up with the district news and care about the future for the students. I would encourage everyone to think of the positive things in the district. The high school has Mr. Comley and three fantastic house principals. Gary Farkas is the one board member who emailed me when I posted and also when I wrote different columns for the Daily Gazette and Times Union and actively reviews the postings so at least one of the old board members cares. and finally, the alleged terrorist is still in jail for the moment.

I can't believe that the board president's wife is still employed. How can PBIS be more important than a para or a teacher's position? Why do the magnet schools get to keep their foreign language programs while all of the other students are out of luck?
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptySun 31 May 2009, 1:07 am

Sandra wrote:
Even though we moved out of the district and back to Wisconsin in late March, I still try to keep up with the district news and care about the future for the students. I would encourage everyone to think of the positive things in the district. The high school has Mr. Comley and three fantastic house principals. Gary Farkas is the one board member who emailed me when I posted and also when I wrote different columns for the Daily Gazette and Times Union and actively reviews the postings so at least one of the old board members cares. and finally, the alleged terrorist is still in jail for the moment.

I can't believe that the board president's wife is still employed. How can PBIS be more important than a para or a teacher's position? Why do the magnet schools get to keep their foreign language programs while all of the other students are out of luck?

Sandra,
Thanks for checking in and still caring about the future of the children. I wish the same could be said about the upper echelon of the current administration.

The positives you mention, Mr. Comley and Mr. Fargas are an acceptance to the rule and indeed seem to be truly committed to the children without personal agendas and shouldn't be lumped into the same group as the superintendent, board president and a couple left on the school board.

You must be paying attention to the school board mess in Sch'dy and realize none of your questions will ever be answered here, like the many before yours.
Back to top Go down
Sandra

PostSubject: questions can lead to results   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptySun 31 May 2009, 10:48 am

Hell Not a Howe Dad:
Questions can help. When I asked questions about the field trip funding inequities between the houses since one principal did not encumber any funds before a funding freeze, it only took three months and asking questions about how to file a civil rights complaint before things changed. Mr. Comley was helpful with getting all of the field trip information together and Mr. Farkas was asking questions behind the scene. THings may not change overnight but I encourage all of the parents to ask questions, write letters and stand up for the kids in the district.
Back to top Go down
Get Involved

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptySun 31 May 2009, 2:59 pm

Not a howe dad wrote:
Sandra wrote:

Sandra,
Thanks for checking in and still caring about the future of the children. I wish the same could be said about the upper echelon of the current administration.

The positives you mention, Mr. Comley and Mr. Fargas are an acceptance to the rule and indeed seem to be truly committed to the children without personal agendas and shouldn't be lumped into the same group as the superintendent, board president and a couple left on the school board.

You must be paying attention to the school board mess in Sch'dy and realize none of your questions will ever be answered here, like the many before yours.

Dear Sandra and Not a Howe Dad.
I hope that you are not both suggesting that the other board members do not communicate with the public. I really think that is an unfair statement. I have received several letters and even phone call back from board members other than Mr. Farkas. Please do not lump them all together. For example, Ms. Brisport has always written back whenever I ask a question and have returned phone calls. I find that I achieve greater success in communication with board members directly than from a discussion board. So, if you would like to have specific questions answered, I would suggest that you send them an e-mail. Its rather easy to do..... (last name with their first initial@Schenectady.k12.ny.us). They are not the horrible people that the press is making them out to be. These are volunteers (NO PAY), who willing give up countless hours of their time to help with the school district. They are not perfect individuals, but at least they have committed themselves to help. It is so unfortunate that due to the situations that have occurred, they all have to suffer. It is sad that instead of coming together as a community to help try to fix this mess, we are constantly finding more and more faults. I am not saying we should not object to some of the nonsense, but lets see how we can get back on track for the good of the students.
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptySun 31 May 2009, 11:23 pm

Get Involved wrote:
They are not the horrible people that the press is making them out to be. These are volunteers (NO PAY), who willing give up countless hours of their time to help with the school district. They are not perfect individuals, but at least they have committed themselves to help. It is so unfortunate that due to the situations that have occurred, they all have to suffer. It is sad that instead of coming together as a community to help try to fix this mess, we are constantly finding more and more faults. I am not saying we should not object to some of the nonsense, but lets see how we can get back on track for the good of the students.

I believe some of them are the "horrible people" that the press make them out to be.
Mainly at the top levels.
And while they are volunteers, and some are there to do what is right, you can't tell me that some don't think they are entitled to perks, i.e. the Board President giving his wife a job while avoiding a Civil Service test, using Union Members to stuff envelopes for his candidates, etc.

It is sad that we can't come together to fix the mess , but the fact is that we ARE finding about more and more faults
and I don't feel things will ever get back on track and again have faith in the leadership until some of them are removed.

I'm not going to bow down to the arrogance , bullying and threat of higher taxes and have every intention on voting no for the revised budget. I don't even care if the tax levy is 15.8%.
If this budget is voted down again even outsiders will see that people are upset with the way things are run and realize that more things need to change.
Back to top Go down
Sandra

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyMon 01 Jun 2009, 12:26 am

Hello Get Involved,

I am not insinuating that any of the board members are bad, just stating that when I wrote two positive columns to the Albany Times Union and a couple for the Daily Gazette and asked questions in emails, the only board member who took the time to call me, message or email back was Gary Farkas. I am very glad you have had better luck communicating with other board members and hope that somehow, the board will pull together to bring the community together.
Back to top Go down
Parent&Homeowner

PostSubject: Vote [b]YES [/b]for the revised budget!!   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyFri 05 Jun 2009, 1:12 pm

Please everyone vote yes for the revised budget on June 16th because the only ones that will suffer if it goes into a conticontingency budget is our kids!!!! Don't let feelings and fears get in your way of doing what is right for the children of the district.

The board only has so much say and power and it's really not as much as some of you think. The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about. Remember you cannot believe everything you read in the newspapers, their jobs are to sell the papers, not report facts.

VOTE YES TO THE BUDGET AND THINK OF THE KIDS IN THE DISTRICT!!!!
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyFri 05 Jun 2009, 2:08 pm

Parent&Homeowner wrote:
Please everyone vote yes for the revised budget on June 16th because the only ones that will suffer if it goes into a conticontingency budget is our kids!!!! Don't let feelings and fears get in your way of doing what is right for the children of the district.

The board only has so much say and power and it's really not as much as some of you think. The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about. Remember you cannot believe everything you read in the newspapers, their jobs are to sell the papers, not report facts.

VOTE YES TO THE BUDGET AND THINK OF THE KIDS IN THE DISTRICT!!!!

Please. The children are not going to suffer. They still get all their workbooks, textbooks, etc. This is all a scare tactic aand another attempt at bullying the taxpayers. "Hmph, you didn't like that budget ,well guess what, we'll raise it even more. Reject that and you'll be paying so much in taxes that you'll be living in cardboard boxes.

Yes, a newspapers job is to sell papers but they are aware of libel laws
and I haven't heard of ONE person accused of wrongdoings, i.e Superintendent Ely, Board President Janiszewski , HR Director Stricos, Steve Raucci, etc. speak out against it. Their reputations and credibility have been severely affected by all this and if the accusations aren't true than they should all consider suing the gazette. If not, then I will continue to believe that it is just good reporting.

This joke of an investigation into the Raucci affair with results going back To Mr. J., refusal to let the public know who is in on the selection committee for the open position and further lawsuits coming out all point to corruption.
Not to mention the teachers , paras, secretaries who were all aware of Mr. Raucci's coercion and the fact that it was reported ,(well, not formally, like in writing) to Mr.Ely and nothing was done about it.

The kids will be far better off if the budget is defeated and forces the people in charge to be embarrassed and humilated enough to resign.

VOTE NO FOR THE KIDS AND AND SEND THE JACKALS PACKING!
Back to top Go down
Sandra

PostSubject: please be careful   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyFri 05 Jun 2009, 6:47 pm

Hi Not a Howe Dad,

I have read your posts and just want to encourage you to tone it down a little. One of the parents a few months ago got kicked off for posting something and your insights are valuable and should be shared.

Sandra
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptySun 07 Jun 2009, 8:55 pm

Sandra wrote:
thank you for sharing the article Not a Howe Dad. Could you paste some of the article comments that were online today into the discussion board also? I do not live in Schenectady and do not have a paid online subscription but am interested in reading more. It has been a long time since Admin has logged into the discussion board. Wonder if the superintendent or the person in charge is giving up the thought of using this as a way to interact with community members and brainstorm together budget ideas?

Too bad Mr. Strock's article isn't available on the free online edition because I'm sure it would have produced more negative comments than this previous article.

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2009/jun/05/0605_contingency/

I'm sure the administration reads them all and their only protest is to cancel their subscription (Janiszewski) or limit how information is relayed to the public (Ely). The fact that they won't release the information on who is on the selection committee in regards to hiring Mr. Raucc's position, is just another example of their underhandedness and oppportunity to once again thumb their noses at us.
Back to top Go down
Get Involved

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptySun 07 Jun 2009, 11:36 pm

Sandra wrote:
thank you for sharing the article Not a Howe Dad. Could you paste some of the article comments that were online today into the discussion board also? I do not live in Schenectady and do not have a paid online subscription but am interested in reading more. It has been a long time since Admin has logged into the discussion board. Wonder if the superintendent or the person in charge is giving up the thought of using this as a way to interact with community members and brainstorm together budget ideas?

Sandra, I am glad you will continue to read about the Schenectady School District although you are so far away. However, I hope that you will remember that the Gazette editors and specifically Mr. Carl Strock is only telling one side of the story. When are they ever going to mention that over the past several years the community was faced with minimal school tax increases, or that the school district (because it is a high poverty district) has to rely on State Aid for 60% of its budget? When are they going to mention that the STATE AID did not increase for next school year, which is why it was necessary to consider cutting programs and raising the school taxes? When are they going to mention that 5 administrators and other positions were cut in order to help bring down the tax levy? How is it that I do not see that written in any communication here? When is there going to be someone else talking about the facts that have created the issues with the budget? So, Sandra, please try to find out the facts and do not make judgment on the school district based on one side of the story.
Back to top Go down
Sandra

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyMon 08 Jun 2009, 3:47 pm

Hello Get Involved,

Thank nyou for the humorous moment for my day. I have never formed an opinion about the district based on just the newspaper and if you have read any of my numerous posts since the discussion board beginning, you would see that I have asked questions, got data, been involved and tried to make a difference. It was nice of you to right away assume though that I used the paper for my opinions but maybe you don''t realize that hte people who disagree with some of the adminsitrations decisions develop their opinions from their experiences and interactions with school staff members.
Back to top Go down
Get Involved

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyMon 08 Jun 2009, 7:50 pm

Sandra wrote:
Hello Get Involved,

Thank nyou for the humorous moment for my day. I have never formed an opinion about the district based on just the newspaper and if you have read any of my numerous posts since the discussion board beginning, you would see that I have asked questions, got data, been involved and tried to make a difference. It was nice of you to right away assume though that I used the paper for my opinions but maybe you don''t realize that hte people who disagree with some of the adminsitrations decisions develop their opinions from their experiences and interactions with school staff members.

Sandra, I am glad that you can find humor in all this. Fortunately, you are far away and will not be saddled with a huge tax increase.
Back to top Go down
Sandra

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyMon 08 Jun 2009, 9:48 pm

I do not find humor in the situation but I found your assumptions about me and my ability to research the issue humorous. Thank goodness for the Daily Gazette and their persistence to find out the truth of different issues.
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyThu 11 Jun 2009, 12:00 am

I am giving the administration an opportunity to change my mind on the revised budget.

They state that basic school supplies for children will be abolished under a contingency budget. At the start of every school year I get a letter sent home stating the supplies (i.e pencils, paper, erasers ) that are required or recommended (and I comply with) to start the beginning of the school year and never realized these things were provided free of charge. Please don't tell me that allowances aren't made for the students that cannot afford them and that there isn't a surplus to accommodate them already and that children aren't going to have basic supplies.

Second, the mention of all the not for profit agencies that use the facilities now and will be excluded or charged to use the facilities under a contingent budget would like the names of the agencies to see who this actually effects.

Under a contingency budget , I would also like to see the other specific programs that would be affected (Arts, sports ,etc.)

There is already a $6 milliion surplus and don't see where anyone will "suffer".
Back to top Go down
ATAC

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyFri 12 Jun 2009, 1:16 pm

As noted throughout these message boards, newspaper articles, and other articles, this has ben a very difficult and challenging year for Schenectady School Distrist.
We all have our opinions as to who is to blame - The Board of Education, the Superintendent, School District Administrators or even The Gazette.
And yes, we haven't heard (at least I haven't) someone step up and say "We should've known and we should've done better".
There have certainly been many excuses, and I for one wanted to hear someone take accountability and responsibility for what has happened and for fixing it.
I understand that people are human, make mistakes, and sometimes don't know everything that is going on. However, it is the responsibility of those people in power to at least let us know afterwards that they've learnt from what has happened and reassure us that it won't happen again.
However, in saying all this, we the taxpayers of Schenectady need to step up and accept our part of the responsibility too. When only 2,000 - 3,000 residents bother enough to come out and vote in such a tumultuous year, we get what we ask for!

As for the 2009-2010 School Budget, let us not take our anger at the issues that have happened this year interfere with the budget decision. They are two separate issues. Rejecting the budget for those reasons will not serve the purpose. School Board elections will come around next year and then is the time for holding those members up for re-election accountable. I believe Mr. Janiszewski is up for re-election next year (should he choose to run). Those of you who dislike his service will get the opportunity to make your dissatisfaction of him known then.

Please vote on the budget on its merits - Let us not "cut off our nose to spite our face"!
If you vote NO on the budget, vote NO because you disagree with it. But understand, we will go to a contingency budget that will cost us all more.
Even the new proposed budget means an increase of school taxes of 5.8% (original/rejected budget was a 4.8% raise). However, the contingency budget will mean a 15.8% raise! To me, that's a lot of extra money for residents to pay for being angry and/or frustrated.
If the reason you voted NO on the original budget was the librarians - Then vote YES on the new proposal.
From my perspective the best of the alternatives was the original budget - None were great, but given the choice of 3 options, I wish we could re-vote on the original proposal.
As for a "surplus", forget about it - There will be NO surplus. Have you ever known government to take money and then NOT spend it? It will be used for something without a doubt.

Finally, this is a good school district with good people in it. Let us not be divisive. I spent two nights over at the High School recently (Pops Concert and Underclassmen Awards), and what I saw were incredibly talented children putting on a concert or being rewarded for their actions. The audiences were both incredibly well behaved. They were both nights of incredible school unity and spirit, and I am sure there were many other nights like these at all the other Schenectady Schools this year.
These are the things that we should remember about 2008-2009 school year, not all the other stories that hit the news.
Back to top Go down
Get Involved

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptySun 14 Jun 2009, 11:52 am

ATAC wrote:
As noted throughout these message boards, newspaper articles, and other articles, this has ben a very difficult and challenging year for Schenectady School Distrist.
We all have our opinions as to who is to blame - The Board of Education, the Superintendent, School District Administrators or even The Gazette.
And yes, we haven't heard (at least I haven't) someone step up and say "We should've known and we should've done better".
There have certainly been many excuses, and I for one wanted to hear someone take accountability and responsibility for what has happened and for fixing it.
I understand that people are human, make mistakes, and sometimes don't know everything that is going on. However, it is the responsibility of those people in power to at least let us know afterwards that they've learnt from what has happened and reassure us that it won't happen again.
However, in saying all this, we the taxpayers of Schenectady need to step up and accept our part of the responsibility too. When only 2,000 - 3,000 residents bother enough to come out and vote in such a tumultuous year, we get what we ask for!

As for the 2009-2010 School Budget, let us not take our anger at the issues that have happened this year interfere with the budget decision. They are two separate issues. Rejecting the budget for those reasons will not serve the purpose. School Board elections will come around next year and then is the time for holding those members up for re-election accountable. I believe Mr. Janiszewski is up for re-election next year (should he choose to run). Those of you who dislike his service will get the opportunity to make your dissatisfaction of him known then.

Please vote on the budget on its merits - Let us not "cut off our nose to spite our face"!
If you vote NO on the budget, vote NO because you disagree with it. But understand, we will go to a contingency budget that will cost us all more.
Even the new proposed budget means an increase of school taxes of 5.8% (original/rejected budget was a 4.8% raise). However, the contingency budget will mean a 15.8% raise! To me, that's a lot of extra money for residents to pay for being angry and/or frustrated.
If the reason you voted NO on the original budget was the librarians - Then vote YES on the new proposal.
From my perspective the best of the alternatives was the original budget - None were great, but given the choice of 3 options, I wish we could re-vote on the original proposal.
As for a "surplus", forget about it - There will be NO surplus. Have you ever known government to take money and then NOT spend it? It will be used for something without a doubt.

Finally, this is a good school district with good people in it. Let us not be divisive. I spent two nights over at the High School recently (Pops Concert and Underclassmen Awards), and what I saw were incredibly talented children putting on a concert or being rewarded for their actions. The audiences were both incredibly well behaved. They were both nights of incredible school unity and spirit, and I am sure there were many other nights like these at all the other Schenectady Schools this year.
These are the things that we should remember about 2008-2009 school year, not all the other stories that hit the news.

Hello ATAC. Thank you so much for your comments. I totally agree with you on everything that you said. There are good schools, great students and a lot of good events and programs going on in the district. We should think about those things first and not let the events of the past year cause more difficulties within the district or financially harm the taxpayers.
Back to top Go down
Mary Kay Fenner

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Jun 2009, 11:22 am

ATAC- Thank you my thoughts excatley- Voting the budget down will not do anything to the very administrators- school board members that people are so angry at- voting "no" for the budget will only afford the tax payers the joy of having to pay a increase of 15% and receive less.
Back to top Go down
Parent&Homeowner

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Jun 2009, 1:01 pm

ATAC wrote:

ATAC-I agree and thank you for your input and reasoning. Please VOTE YES for the budget and next year take your issues out on the school board with the elections then. I know I sure as heck do not want a 15%+ increase to my taxes this year because people want to try and prove their point to the school board!
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Jun 2009, 10:35 pm

In regards to Mr. Ely's comment to call or email him about any questions.

Does this apply to Gazette columist Carl Strock also?
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Jun 2009, 10:43 pm

Mr. Ely,

Thanks for your latest on the budget note for reminding me why I'll vote no tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
mbrisport

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Jun 2009, 11:37 pm

This year the School Board has dealt with significant controversy. In the past, most of the School Board decisions were not controversial or inflammatory, and only few were reported in the news.
As a School Board we are suppose to keep the “public” in public education. We should provide the channel that delivers the community’s values into our schools. Certainly, I believe this.
I believe that as a School Board we understand that student achievement is the first priority. This emphasis means that policies and resources of our schools are targeted to promote achievement for all students. Specifically, we tend to focus on high standards, a rigorous curriculum, and high-quality teachers.
We all know that not all students walk through the school doors with the same needs. We all know that public schools ‘are’ the one great equalizer in this country. As a school board we recognize this fact and allocate resources such as time, money, personnel and adjust practices accordingly.
In life we are all accountable to someone. As a school board member I am mindful of my accountability to the community that entrust their children to our schools. Specifically, the community expects measurable results, through data, from their tax dollars. They also expect reasonable increases in their school taxes. It is unfortunate, that our community will have to face the burden of this huge tax increase. Therefore, it is with great humility that I offer my regret for the contingency budget that is being imposed on all of us. I have consistently said and I am saying it again. … I DO NOT support or accept this contingency budget.

Maxine Brisport
Back to top Go down
cec51

PostSubject: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Jun 2009, 11:27 am

I feel that the Board needs to reevaluate the contingency budget. The SED indicates that "the contingency budget adopted by the Board of Education would always be less than the proposed budget." That statement has been printed in the Gazette several times. I think the board has some work to do. I would like the Board to present a new contingency budget at the meeting on June 23 or provide to the public the rulling where the Commissioner of Education defines under what circumstances a contingency budget may exceed the budget proposed to the voters. According to the SED spokesman, there is no such ruling and therefore, the contingency budget should be less than the defeated budget. The Library program is import to the students and I believe that the Board should have been able to reinstate the Librarian positions and still present a budget less than the first defeated budget. Clearly, the voters are saying NO TAX INCREASE. We are already heavily taxed in Schenectady and I don't see where the school tax dollars are going. I personally feel that the board has bulllied and threatened the voters and need to readjust what they are doing to regain the support of the taxpayers.

Claire Covey
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Jun 2009, 4:20 pm

After this latest debacle about the revote being wrong, there will NEVER be any confidence with this administration as long as Mr. Ely, Mr, Janiszewski , Mr. Skiros and now you can add Clerk Yager, are still on board.
I hope there is a full scale investigation by the State Department into all the alleged wrongdoings with this administration.
Current and incoming Board Members, people are watching to who your alliances are with.
What a joke!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talk About the Budget   Talk About the Budget - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Talk About the Budget
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next