Schenectady City School District Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Health Issues in the Elementary Schools

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Anita'sNana

Health Issues in the Elementary Schools Empty
PostSubject: Health Issues in the Elementary Schools   Health Issues in the Elementary Schools EmptyThu 22 Jan 2009, 10:58 pm

While I am aware of the continued problems of asbestos and lead paint in our schools, my concern this week was finding out that the Elmer Avenue School had no potable water for two full days of school! Water was not brought in for the children to use for drinking until late in the day. Why? I am not aware that the water restored to the school following the water main break was tested for purity. Why Not? We want our children to be well. Where is the notice to parents? Where is the accountability? We must do better for our children.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Health Issues in the Elementary Schools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Issues in the Elementary Schools   Health Issues in the Elementary Schools EmptyFri 23 Jan 2009, 9:12 am

Anita'sNana wrote:
While I am aware of the continued problems of asbestos and lead paint in our schools, my concern this week was finding out that the Elmer Avenue School had no potable water for two full days of school! Water was not brought in for the children to use for drinking until late in the day. Why? I am not aware that the water restored to the school following the water main break was tested for purity. Why Not? We want our children to be well. Where is the notice to parents? Where is the accountability? We must do better for our children.

A: We became aware that the city had experienced a water main break right outside of Elmer Avenue school on Tuesday morning after school began. Water was flowing in the building, however drinking the water was not advisable. I directed that bottled water be delivered to the building that morning and it was. The water main was fixed and the water was approved for drinking. The school district works very closely with the city in these situations and their expediting the repairs was appreciated. Students were without drinking water for less than an hour.

Asbestos and lead based paint are issues in public buildings around the world. However, the regulations we follow for testing and abating these issues when they are discovered are very strict. Any time a building project affects a part of the any building asbestos tests are done and any asbestos found is removed according to federal and state hazardous materials guidelines. We have not experienced any problems that I am aware of in this area in the last five years.
Back to top Go down
https://tell-us.forumotion.com

Health Issues in the Elementary Schools
Page 1 of 1