Schenectady City School District Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Will the district focus on solid education for all first?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
moab

Will the district focus on solid education for all first? Empty
PostSubject: Will the district focus on solid education for all first?   Will the district focus on solid education for all first? EmptySat 20 Dec 2008, 4:55 pm

I saw the post regarding the IB program at the high school and wonder if that will be funded fully in the future at the expense of the more average student or if the district will focus on keeping staff and decent class sizes for all high school students first and then focusing on providing a few extras if possible?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Will the district focus on solid education for all first?   Will the district focus on solid education for all first? EmptyMon 22 Dec 2008, 3:02 pm

moab wrote:
I saw the post regarding the IB program at the high school and wonder if that will be funded fully in the future at the expense of the more average student or if the district will focus on keeping staff and decent class sizes for all high school students first and then focusing on providing a few extras if possible?

A: All alternatives to providing the most complete offering of programs and courses are being explored. The district is dedicated to keeping class sizes as low as possible and still providing the breadth and depth of our core curricular program including academic opportunities for students of all ability levels.
Back to top Go down
https://tell-us.forumotion.com
Mr.NHK

PostSubject: Re: Will the district focus on solid education for all first?   Will the district focus on solid education for all first? EmptyTue 23 Dec 2008, 7:22 am

moab wrote:

I feel like your topic header, "Will the district focus on solid education for all first?" is fairly misleading. It is not just the curricula that needs to be taken into consideration, if necessary, but students studying under the curricula as well. A student who does not do the work required will obviously have a less solid education than one who does all of the work, regardless of academic level (Regents- I.B etc.)
Back to top Go down
moab

PostSubject: that does not answer the question   Will the district focus on solid education for all first? EmptyTue 23 Dec 2008, 7:23 pm

Pre IB and IB classes, AP testing and other programs aimed at just college prep students cost big bucks. Will the high school focus on programs that serve all students first? What is the cost of the IB program per student and how could all high school students benefit if this extra expense was spread around in programs accessible to all?
Back to top Go down
Mr.NHK

PostSubject: Re: Will the district focus on solid education for all first?   Will the district focus on solid education for all first? EmptyTue 23 Dec 2008, 8:09 pm

moab wrote:
Pre IB and IB classes, AP testing and other programs aimed at just college prep students cost big bucks. Will the high school focus on programs that serve all students first? What is the cost of the IB program per student and how could all high school students benefit if this extra expense was spread around in programs accessible to all?

First, I do believe that Pre-IB is free, as it is not an official part of the International Baccalaureate Programme. Mr. Eric Ely, or Ms. Trish Embree, the IB Coordinator, please correct me on this if I am wrong.

Yes, IB and AP does cost money, but, as a student at Schenectady High, there are academic programs for all students. Within the academic houses, that offer a variety of courses available to all, regardless of house, to take, if they so choose. (ex. Fine Arts offers a very wide variety of dance courses, and Global Commerce offers Economics, and even Business Law. ) Literally, there is a whole course book that is well over 50 pages of different courses to choose from.

Moreover, asking for "a solid foundation for all" would also require challenging New York State requirements for High School Graduation, and the Board of Regents. One does not just go to high school! In conjunction with what any one student would like to do, we have to also satisfy the State and Regents requirements in order to graduate, no matter what level course a student is taking.

Still, as a student at Schenectady High, speaking from first hand experience, I would argue that some students do not take their High School education seriously, and that to some students, high school is a daily social party. In combination with the media, which will always have a slant, it paints an image of the high school that is far from the truth.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Will the district focus on solid education for all first?   Will the district focus on solid education for all first? EmptyTue 23 Dec 2008, 9:40 pm

Mr.NHK wrote:
moab wrote:

First, I do believe that Pre-IB is free, as it is not an official part of the International Baccalaureate Programme. Mr. Eric Ely, or Ms. Trish Embree, the IB Coordinator, please correct me on this if I am wrong.

Yes, IB and AP does cost money, but, as a student at Schenectady High, there are academic programs for all students. Within the academic houses, that offer a variety of courses available to all, regardless of house, to take, if they so choose. (ex. Fine Arts offers a very wide variety of dance courses, and Global Commerce offers Economics, and even Business Law. ) Literally, there is a whole course book that is well over 50 pages of different courses to choose from.

Moreover, asking for "a solid foundation for all" would also require challenging New York State requirements for High School Graduation, and the Board of Regents. One does not just go to high school! In conjunction with what any one student would like to do, we have to also satisfy the State and Regents requirements in order to graduate, no matter what level course a student is taking.

Still, as a student at Schenectady High, speaking from first hand experience, I would argue that some students do not take their High School education seriously, and that to some students, high school is a daily social party. In combination with the media, which will always have a slant, it paints an image of the high school that is far from the truth.

A: All programs are available to all students. High school students can choose Pre-IB, IB, AP or any other academic program offered. Their choices are generally based upon personal interest, preparation and desire to learn.

The cost of a particular program or series of courses is definitely a factor to be considered. However, it is critical that we maintain programs that meet the needs of all students including those with exceptional talent, those with exceptional challenges and everyone in between. We value all children and will continue to meet their needs to the greatest extent possible.

As you can see from the many posts on this board, there are many "sides" to consider as we work through these difficult budget times.
Back to top Go down
https://tell-us.forumotion.com
souptooth

PostSubject: Re: Will the district focus on solid education for all first?   Will the district focus on solid education for all first? EmptyFri 30 Jan 2009, 12:22 am

However, it is critical that we maintain programs that meet the needs of all students including those with exceptional talent, those with exceptional challenges and everyone in between. We value all children and will continue to meet their needs to the greatest extent possible.

I am glad to see this. As the parent of a young gifted student it is difficult to watch him suffer through the younger grades being bored and essentially waste his time as the rest of the class learns what he already knows. Gifted programs in Schenectady City Schools start in fourth grade. Which is difficult when you have a child entering kindergarten reading at a 5th or 6th grade level. I know my child is not the only one in this district. It would actually be nice to see gifted classes for just the gifted kids. So they don't have to suffer through learning the phonics when they can already read Harry Potter. My child had to be moved up a grade because they could not put together a plan for him or use any resources. The resources are put to the kids who can't read in third grade. But most people don't realize is both students are at risk. Gifted kids get bored, and then angry..... they they look for ways to deal with that anger.

There is a great book about what happens to these kids called "Genius Denied" worth a read.

Clearly any intelligent person can see the value in putting all the gifted students together. Then there would be one gifted teach to pay and possibly an aid probably for each grade.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will the district focus on solid education for all first?   Will the district focus on solid education for all first? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will the district focus on solid education for all first?
Page 1 of 1