Schenectady City School District Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

k-8 proposal

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sm12

k-8 proposal Empty
PostSubject: k-8 proposal   k-8 proposal EmptyFri 13 Feb 2009, 4:22 pm

I have to say this forum is getting completely out of control. We are reading that the Upper Union Street Vendors are being approached, petitions are being left in their shops, and meetings are being held, for only the opposing sides. The discussion that is being held at the Schdy Library was not offered to "all people", only to the people that were opposed to this proposal. I am sorry that the public forum's, School Board Meetings, several other meetings and a survey wasn't enough for concerned parents to come forward. At these meetings, ALL were invited, and I don't believe anyone at these meetings felt "threatened or not heard. At the School Board Meeting at Zoller, Jeff Janiszewski, stated that he didn't want a "war", but, it seems to me, that this is now what is happening. Petition's being set up, meetings being held, alot of animoisty on this forum. There is a lot of accusations that are being thrown around regarding parents and faculty. Please take a step back, and realize that children see and hear many things. They also look up to you, whether you are a parent, or caregiver, and they believe what they hear, even if some of it is incorrect. The last thing we all want, is for our kids, whatever district they are in to become frightened and confused about all of this.

I am for the K-8 proposal, butI think that some of the underhandedness that is going on, is inappropiate, and it does need to stop.

Enjoy your week with your children, and stay safe!
Back to top Go down
KMCB

k-8 proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: k-8 proposal   k-8 proposal EmptyFri 13 Feb 2009, 10:40 pm

What about the parents of children that do not go to Howe who were only informed of this proposal this week? We were not notified of any such meetings and no one gave us a survey on how we felt. I bought my house under the impression that my children would go to Woodlawn and CPMS, if my intention was shipping them off to the other side of the City I would of bought a house there. While it is not my desire to be argumentative, this is a lot to digest in such a small amount of time. I don't think that the majority of us go through our homes spouting negitive things about this proposal and the school district, atleast I don't. However, my son wants to know why he will be sent to a different school, why he will not be able to participate in the NASA program at CPMS or why his school cant be K-8 so he can just stay there and be with his younger brother. He has a lot of questions to which I have few answers. Therefore I am happy that there will be another meeting in which we can hear more then just the oppinions of parents at Howe.
Back to top Go down
Excited parent

k-8 proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: k-8 proposal   k-8 proposal EmptySun 15 Feb 2009, 6:14 pm

Many of the parents from the Central Park Feeder schools are not listening to the "whole story". You are upset about Howe being moved from the current location to Central Park. Mr. Ely stated that even if the the proposal does not go through Central Park will be less than half full and they would NOT run a school like that. It is not economical. They will re-structure the "feeders" anyway. Maybe they will make CP the new pre- k or something else. So that being said, To all of you "feeder" schools, if they are going to re-district anyway and you will be going to either Mont Pleasant or Oneida, do you then have a problem with Howe moving there?
Back to top Go down
wachala1

k-8 proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: k-8 proposal   k-8 proposal EmptySun 15 Feb 2009, 6:50 pm

Excited Parent,

Here's my dilemma. Right now, there are 697 - 6th graders (going into 7th next year), and there are 767 - 7th graders (going into 8th in September). Total of 1464 (but 51 remaining at King along with an undertermined class of 8th graders). In the three middle schools now, there are 548 (Oneida), 695 (MtP) and 538 in CP. We all agree, the middle schools are too big.

If left alone, all three middle schools would get around 488 students each. That's around the same number of students in each of the elementary schools. Wouldn't the lower numbers and smaller classes be a bigger benefit to all parents in the district? Redistricting this way would benefit all elementary schools in Schenectady.

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Joyce Wachala
Back to top Go down
KMCB

k-8 proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: k-8 proposal   k-8 proposal EmptyTue 17 Feb 2009, 3:51 pm

Dear Excited Parent,

I have not heard anything stating that either way they were going to close down Central Park. Of course this is no big surprise. We were never brought into this conversation until recently, if the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure you would feel much the same. I have read a lot about "well you should of gone to the BOE meetings". This doesn't work out for all of us, some of us have other committments that in my mind are just as importaint, like running a football team, coaching basketball and running a cubscout den. The district should have sent notes home long ago, as they work for our children and the tax payers. Here is a question if the districts intention is to shut down CPMS regardless, what ever will they do with the NASA program? This program is only for that building, I doubt very much they will give that up. This decision affects EVERY child in the district and needs to be a City wide discussion. Why should my child get less while yours gets more? I pay my school taxes too and our children deserve equality in their education. There are other alternatives here, such as making Woodlawn K-8 (as it is a true community school) or bringing the 9th grades into the middle schools to fill classes, allow the transition time between middle school and high school to be less stressful and free up space in SHS.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

k-8 proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: k-8 proposal   k-8 proposal Empty

Back to top Go down

k-8 proposal
Page 1 of 1