Schenectady City School District Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

School Morale

Go down 
+2
Sandra
Mom2myKids
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mom2myKids

School Morale Empty
PostSubject: School Morale   School Morale EmptyThu 08 Jan 2009, 6:53 pm

Does the district have any thoughts on how to increase morale at the schools?
I find that some of the staff and students could use a bit of school spirit. I am disappointed when my child enters the building and the greeter doesn't even say good morning or smile. I cringe when I hear teachers screaming at kids. I wonder why teachers don't ask firmly but nicely at least once before yelling? I wonder if employees who get to work right as school is starting enjoy their jobs?
Back to top Go down
Sandra

School Morale Empty
PostSubject: morale-high school   School Morale EmptyThu 08 Jan 2009, 7:05 pm

I am not sure what grade your son is in but I want to share that at the high school, the teachers are amazing. We moved from Wisconsin and my kids used to hava a couple of teachers there who were just doing their time and when we moved here, they have teachers who really care, who go the extra mile to help them and who make each day a great learning experience. It has been neat to see all of the different teaching styles and techniques.
Back to top Go down
Mom2myKids

School Morale Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Morale   School Morale EmptyThu 08 Jan 2009, 8:30 pm

My child is in elementary, his teacher this year is AMAZING, can't say that about last years teacher. This year is great, the teacher goes above and beyond. I would say most of the teachers are really good, unfortunately it's the admin at the school that's the problem. I had a complaint/concern and this person literally said "you are in Sch'dy, what do you expect?" If this person didn't have a really important role at the school I wouldn't care so much. I try to be involved at the school and I get the run around, and excuses for why every suggestion I have won't work. I run into a lot of parents who leave the school and/or the district because they feel like they aren't heard. I don't want to leave, but I lots of times feel like either my concerns are invalid or they'll listen and just not do anything about the concern. I don't like being spoken to like I am an idiot, and that's the feeling I get from the higher ups there. I wish they could remember why they wanted to work w/kids and act like it's the very important job that it is.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

School Morale Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Morale   School Morale EmptyFri 09 Jan 2009, 9:58 am

Mom2myKids wrote:
Does the district have any thoughts on how to increase morale at the schools?
I find that some of the staff and students could use a bit of school spirit. I am disappointed when my child enters the building and the greeter doesn't even say good morning or smile. I cringe when I hear teachers screaming at kids. I wonder why teachers don't ask firmly but nicely at least once before yelling? I wonder if employees who get to work right as school is starting enjoy their jobs?

A: The morale of school employees is always situational. As we all know, children and working in a school environment can become very stressful at times and every person handles things differently. No excuses, yelling at kids rarely gets you anywhere. It is unfair to paint everyone in every school with the same brush though. Certainly, I always expect visitors and children to be treated fairly and with respect. I feel you get a much better response if you follow that approach. The stress associated with the current budget crisis and the uncertainty of people about their job and their ability to support their own families is rising right now. I don’t look for that to get any better any time in the near future. We live in difficult times. I will do my best to remind our staff to always keep in mind that fairness and respect are our expectation.
Back to top Go down
https://tell-us.forumotion.com
Mom2myKids

School Morale Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Morale   School Morale EmptyFri 09 Jan 2009, 11:29 am

I understand folks are stressed, the economy, kids not listening whatever it might be, BUT this didn't just start happening, it happened last year too. I don't mean a firm voice telling a kid something, I mean screaming that you can hear down the hall. At school I think screaming should be reserved for when someone is in danger. I had a teacher back in 2nd grade I still remember her, she use to scream at our class and bang metal scissors on her metal desk, on a regular basis to get the class to quiet down or pay attention; talk about scary. I cringe at the thought of a little kid having to hear that.
Back to top Go down
moab

School Morale Empty
PostSubject: Morale   School Morale EmptyFri 09 Jan 2009, 11:43 am

Hello Mom,

Have you considered documenting your concerns with dates and times and then sharing those with upper level administration. There is also a complaint process that you could follow. If you do document your concerns though, please consider also sharing the positive experiences you have had. The great teachers in Schenectady should be recognized and appreciated.
Back to top Go down
gabbiegurl06

School Morale Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Morale   School Morale EmptyMon 12 Jan 2009, 12:43 am

I am a student at schenectady high,
when your finally into high school thats when you start thinking about your future, but teachers never take the time to sit down and talk with any classes and just talk about it & they hardly ever greet half of their students when they walk in and out of their classrooms,teachers should take a day out of all the other days we do school work and just have a convo of how you want to be successful and what you will do to try and get there and give them advice to how they will get their way there , when i was in inschool the other day the guy was talking to all of us about our futures and we all discussed how noone of the teachers can take one day out of all the others and just help us out guide us help us get there give us some ideas && boost or confidence up. I don't like how when one student gets a teacher mad they take it out on the rest of the kids,its not our fault that one kid gets the teacher mad , if the teachers can't show you respect why show them ? just because their are teachers doesn't give them the right to treat us like that..When you go into the principals office and they talk to you about what the referals says for talking back, do yu ever think that the teacher over does it and wants to be right the principals always take the teachers side they ask you about your side of the story but always stick with the teachers side no matter what,why explain yourself if they don't even care why should they ask if they're never right and the teachers are? teachers may have their days when they 're not in the mood and act different but to show your students with no respect and just yell at them the whole class period isnt called for and i say something about it everytime they always say to me show them respect i'll show them all respect when i feel like im recieving it from them, when i walk into school in the morning Im normally the one to greet my teachers every one of them when i get into their classes , never are they the first ones its kind of ruin since where their students they should say to us we shouldnt have to be the first ones to say it.
Back to top Go down
greer

School Morale Empty
PostSubject: child being yelled at   School Morale EmptyTue 13 Jan 2009, 7:16 am

If you are in the presence of a teacher or anyone yelling at your child, report them.
This is a form of child abuse. The teacher should be written up.
there is NO excuse[ tough times, stress Please!!]
We are all taught that all this yelling, demeaning behavior is not acceptable.
I would contact CPS and report the person plus write to the school board.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

School Morale Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Morale   School Morale Empty

Back to top Go down

School Morale
Page 1 of 1