Schenectady City School District Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I love the idea!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Excited parent

I love the idea! Empty
PostSubject: I love the idea!   I love the idea! EmptyThu 29 Jan 2009, 11:24 pm

I would like to say first and foremost that I am VERY excited about this proposal!! To be able to expand this program and have it be offered to my children longer. All of the wonderful things that I love about Howe, my children will benefit from for many more years to come. Howe is Howe because of the teachers, students and parents. We are a family. I understand that parents are upset because, it's a fact, most people don't like change. They are scared. I think of this as an oportunity. An oportunity to grow together, for our children to grow together, and be able to focus on education, TOGETHER.

I was at the meeting at Howe the other night and I have to say, for the most part, the parents who were most upset were the parents who understood the least about the propsal. I agree with Mr. Ely 100% when he said that the program has nothing to do with building itself. Parents are outraged at sending their children across the park people!!! We are talking a few streets. Parents who said that they picked Howe because of the neighborhood that it was in but then outwardly admitted to living in a worse neighborhood!! I picked Howe because of the program, because of the test scores, because of the reputation that it has. I will send my kids to Howe, wherever that may be.
Back to top Go down
Rob

I love the idea! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I love the idea!   I love the idea! EmptyFri 30 Jan 2009, 9:25 am

Don't paint parents with broad strokes. The first person who spoke was very well informed as to the proposal as were others.
Back to top Go down
SrrMom

I love the idea! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I love the idea!   I love the idea! EmptyFri 30 Jan 2009, 3:45 pm

Rob wrote:
Don't paint parents with broad strokes. The first person who spoke was very well informed as to the proposal as were others.
I would disagree with you. The first woman who spoke, while, well informed with statistical information,she didn't seem to understand that the Howe program may only be moving to a different location, not being closed altogether.
Back to top Go down
jazz4474

I love the idea! Empty
PostSubject: I also love the idea   I love the idea! EmptyTue 03 Feb 2009, 5:34 pm

I also am very excited about having Howe become a K-8 magnet school. Even though my children are currently in 2nd and 3rd grade, my husband and I were already looking into alternatives to Mont Pleasant. I believe in the K-8 model and believe that our children will continue to excel in that environment. I am also looking at all of the advantages: NASA Explorer, Pre IB and mentoring programs.

As far as the neighborhood concerns: I live right by CPMS. My children get and get off the bus in front of CPMS every day. I see the behaviors and really have not see a problem. All of the older kids that have come in contact with us have been more than polite: excuse me and thank you as they are walking by my kids. There are monitors out front watching and I have not seen one fight or any disrespect and I am out there for a good 15 minutes usually.

I have lived in Mont Pleasant, Woodlawn and now here on top of the hill for over 2 years now and still have not had any issues. When I lived by Mont Pleasant, I was afraid to go out of my house at night because there was a stabbing right in front of my house. I was also threatened to be shot. In Woodlawn, there were robberies. The only issues so far around here are cars going a little too fast. That would have to be addressed if this proposal goes through. They fly down Nora Ave.

I want to be clear that I am not supporting this because of the proximity of the school to my house. It will require me to use the YMCA (if available) again because I currently depend on the 30-45 minute bus ride so everyone gets to work and school on time
Back to top Go down
lafeal

I love the idea! Empty
PostSubject: Central Park is my childrens "community Middle School" and I want it back!!!!!   I love the idea! EmptyMon 16 Feb 2009, 12:13 pm

I am a Woodlawn parent and I have been asking people to sign a petition that opposes the proposal. Today I spoke with a Howe parent and as I spoke with him I heard in his voice that he could careless about my child that has to go to Mont Pleasant next year. Of course, Howe parents want this proposal to go through. What parent wouldn't want ALL THE PERKS!!!!!!!!!! THE NASA PROGRAM, YOUR MAGNET SCHOOL IS ALREADY TAGGED AS ONE OF THE BEST ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS IN SCHENECTADY. K-8 at CP will be overwhelmed with over 500 children all different ages. The B.O.E. mentions that they want a "community style school" well if you haven't noticed your students don't come from one community, they are bussed all over Sch'dy . Most of them only see each other in school. Why doesn't Eric start at a non-magnet school and make them "community" schools. What ever happen to the good old days. I don't care if the playground they are going to build at CP for the Howe magnet school is in the budget or not. TEACHER'S are still going to getting FIRED!!!!!! NO QUESTION!! They didn’t budget for them. I believe they will move FDR over to the Howe, I wouldn't put it past them. There's no room for a playground for the FDR children, what about them. FDR children don't even have a stinking playground and the District wants to spend money at CP for 5 year olds to attend there. Here‘s a thought, since the District took out the 6th graders out of the middle schools and they want to fill the empty seats at CP, MP and Oneida, place the 9th graders there. It's harder for a 9th grader to enter a high school then a 6th grade to enter middle school.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I love the idea! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I love the idea!   I love the idea! Empty

Back to top Go down

I love the idea!
Page 1 of 1