Schenectady City School District Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal

Go down 
+29
lynmiglino
Hubbard
G&G
BChriss
another lifer
sm12
E.Connell
Denise Della Villa
teachermom
Howe Mom
Excited parent
tdrparent
Karen Kirstein
un autre prof
Involved Parent
HoweMom2
wachala1
Mary Kay Fenner
butterball
lafeal
Not a howe dad
Parent&Homeowner
souptooth
KMCB
A Schdy Lifer
jazz4474
adamekc
Aaron Sicotte
Admin
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
sm12

Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: parent and homeowner   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 4:14 pm

Thank you for adding that!!
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 5:02 pm

Parent&Homeowner wrote:
Oh stop. Trying to intimidate them for your vote next election is not what this is about. I don’t know about all of them but I know at least a couple have kids in the district so they understand and want what’s best for the children too.

I wonder where their children go and if this plays a part in any of this.
My children go to Woodlawn and Central Park.
Back to top Go down
un autre prof

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 7:48 pm

Not a howe dad wrote:
I hope the vote next week is an open vote , to see how each Board member voted.
I don't know how else to explain that this isn't just about whether the majority of Howe parents are for or against it.

NAHD,
Again, when I posted about the survey, it was the one done at Howe. I didn't mention anything about the whole district. I think you misunderstood my post. It was about the Howe survey.

I agree with Parent & Homeowner, the members of the Board really don't need thinly veiled threats to do the right thing.

My children go to Howe and I still want the first proposal.
Back to top Go down
BChriss

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 8:19 pm

Not A Howe Dad,
Great point !!!! I would also like to see the open Vote. If we vote these members in to these positions ,why cant we see how they are voting ! They are to be representing the PEOPLE! And if they dont have thick skin then they need to leave this position. Shame on anyone who is trying to say he is wrong about asking this request of an open vote.
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 8:45 pm

un autre prof wrote:
Not a howe dad wrote:
I don't know how else to explain that this isn't just about whether the majority of Howe parents are for or against it.

NAHD,
Again, when I posted about the survey, it was the one done at Howe. I didn't mention anything about the whole district. I think you misunderstood my post. It was about the Howe survey.

I agree with Parent & Homeowner, the members of the Board really don't need thinly veiled threats to do the right thing.

This is NOT a thinly veiled threat. I want to elect people who are for my interests and open to ideas and I want to know who they are.
So , I don't care who you agree with, I still hate both proposals and still think they should put off a decision and do the ultimate "right thing" and discard both proposals and start over.
Back to top Go down
A Schdy Lifer

PostSubject: Are you serious????   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 9:06 pm

Not a howe dad wrote:
un autre prof wrote:
Not a howe dad wrote:

NAHD,

This is NOT a thinly veiled threat. I want to elect people who are for my interests and open to ideas and I want to know who they are.
So , I don't care who you agree with, I still hate both proposals and still think they should put off a decision and do the ultimate "right thing" and discard both proposals and start over.

You are unbelievable - if you were there last night and listened to the board members they are heart sick about this decision. As much as I want proposal #1 I would never wish harm or vote any of them out of their office if they choose proposal #2. There is so much at stake with this decision. Running three middle schools not at full capacity is just plain stupid - we as tax payers will see an increase definitely in school taxes because of this stupid economy. Even if the stimulus package goes through it is only money relief for certain programs and it will only be for 2 years. Budget cuts are inevitable and moving the children around to accomodate this has to happen.

The board members when they spoke last night clearly stated where their children attended when they spoke and you know what - it effects most of them too. I respect them with whatever they decide.

If you think you could do a better job then maybe you should find out how to run against one of them this year. A few of them are up for re-election.
Back to top Go down
lafeal

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 10:14 pm

Parent&Homeowner wrote:
Oh stop. Trying to intimidate them for your vote next election is not what this is about. I don’t know about all of them but I know at least a couple have kids in the district so they understand and want what’s best for the children too.

Oh like the Board members that have children in the system won't get their way on where their kid goes.
Back to top Go down
sm12

PostSubject: board members   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 10:33 pm

Maybe some of you should try and understand what they are also going through. Those people have children in different schools as well. I am for the first proposal.
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 10:45 pm

Maybe if I keep saying, I don't like either proposal, I will get my way.
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 10:47 pm

I am not for the first proposal.
Back to top Go down
Not a howe dad

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 11:05 pm

[quote="A Schdy Lifer
You are unbelievable - (Thanks. I'm glad we can agree on something) if you were there last night and listened to the board members they are heart sick about this decision.(me too) As much as I want proposal #1 I would never wish harm (me neither) or vote any of them out of their office ( I might)if they choose proposal #2. There is so much at stake with this decision. Running three middle schools not at full capacity is just plain stupid -(Then so was making all elementary schools K-6 and then saying there isn't enough enrollment at the Middle Schools) we as tax payers will see an increase definitely in school taxes because of this stupid economy. Even if the stimulus package goes through it is only money relief for certain programs and it will only be for 2 years. Budget cuts are inevitable and moving the children around to accomodate this has to happen.

The board members when they spoke last night clearly stated where their children attended when they spoke and you know what - it effects most of them too. I respect them with whatever they decide.

If you think you could do a better job then maybe you should find out how to run against one of them this year. A few of them are up for re-election. I thought about it and I'm not sure I have the credentials. I don't think I will get very far with only common sense and doing what is best for the majority of the district.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Parent&Homeowner

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 11:32 pm

I still think the first proposal is the best opinion. Why not go with what we already know works, meaning the international them from Howe and expand that? The international theme has proven to be successful for twenty years and if a new theme is created to start a whole new school, how are we going to be sure it will be as successful? After the two years when funding is gone again, where is the extra money going to come from? Is the district going to just hope for more funding each time to keep a newer program going without taking from the others or will that be what helps to raise taxes more? I still feel that if Howe could house 7th & 8th grade like King, there wouldn’t be all these debates. Instead of taking teachers from all over the district to fill a new school and hiring a ton more, why not move the Howe teachers to the new building and hire just a few new ones needed for the Pre-K program. Also, depending on how the grades are sectioned (example given on second proposal), there could be more openings for kids from other schools in the lottery. Someone pointed out that there is a Universal Pre-K at another school near Howe on the North end, ok, how many openings does it have each year? Would there be as many openings as Howe could accommodate if they opened one there? Moving the Howe program to a new building would not cost nearly as much as opening a whole new school, the only real cost I see would come from the start of the Pre-K but it still seems less of a cost and there are more benefits than just one. Our economy is not going to get better anytime soon so I would think doing the most cost effective proposal for the long run would be the best choice. But that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
wachala1

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 3:46 am

The North side Universal Pre-k in Schenectady is at St. Anthony's over on Van Vranken. The reason I bring this up is because I was under the impression (under the 1st proposal) that there were NO Pre-k's on the North side. That's simply not true. A daycare run by St. Anthony's is in the same building as well. Why don't we lease more space from St. Anthony's and make more room for our Pre-k? Cost effective definately.

Again, if Howe could include 7 & 8th in their school, there would not be as many issues. We wouldn't lose our Howe staff (going to CP, we will lose staff and probably Mrs. Coffey), we wouldn't have 355 extra students (there will be 234 CP 8th graders this fall and an additional 112 - 7th graders) and we would not have to redistrict 3 feeder schools.

Proposal 1 affects Howe (cuts staff), CP (a school of 716 this fall), redistricts Woodlawn, Paige and Lincoln and will not address issues and will overcrowd Oneida and MP (if not this year, definately in the next 2).

Proposal 2 will open up opportunities district wide for all elementary students (and we need to remember, if our 2 leased schools are closed, the k-8 could house the additional 300+ students), those teachers from the leased schools could move to the k-8 (not losing jobs and retaining what we have) and although we would re-district, at least those parents have a shot in the k-8 lottery (preference in the 7& 8th grades).

If proposal 2 is chosen, it's district friendly, will be cost effective (if our leased schools are closed) and provides opportunity to anyone who would like a chance in a k-8 option.

Thanks,
Joyce

Last edited by wachala1 on Sat 28 Feb 2009, 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mary Kay Fenner

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 7:33 am

Families,

At the school board meeting the other night a parent offered a alternate proposal, which I feel is a very viable one and I can't figure out why more of us are not on the band wagon with this! Please go on this link and look at the proposal put forth by "teachermom" In a nut shell- It offers to keep the actual Howe Building a pre-K through 4- and the Central Park 5-8, however they both would be Howe International Magnet School just 2 different locations! it allows the district many things that they are trying to achieve- more openings in the lottery, a universal Pre-K on this side on town, that can accept many more children, and another K-8 school just 2 different sites. I believe that this will keep as many of the staff that they can at each site- we can continue with the International theme and it is a continuation of each. many surrounding school district do this plan for (prk-4 and 5-Cool but it is not a continuation of a theme and that is where they have problems. the district may also be able to realize a cost saving by not needing to outfit CP with samller bathrooms etc, for the younger children and hopefully that would off-set any cost with hiring any new staff. Please look this over and if you feel the same way that I do let the School Board know!
Back to top Go down
Mary Kay Fenner

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 7:50 am

Administration- At the board meeting the other night the last public speaker gave you a alternate plan for the proposal and I think that this is a very good plan and I am requesting that this be taken under consideration- It helps the district realize a host of things- a continuation of the International Magent theme- opens up more spaces in the lottery, gets a larger Universal pre-K program on this side of town, the best thing about this plan though is it has been offered as a continuation of the Howe International theme just at 2 different locations! Many school districts in surrounding areas have this configuration however they do not have the continunity. This will allow both principals at each location and gives them the opportunity to work together and help each other with all of the different grades. I would think that then the only staff that would need to be hired would be pre-K and para etc. certainly a less cost then starting a whole new "school " such as on the second proposal. Perhaps the district might be able to see a cost savings as then manybe CP would not need to be outfitted for smaller children. I believe at the meeting it was mentioned that this had been looked into if so I would like to know if it was considered as a total Howe package, and what were the drawbacks. Please repsond.
Back to top Go down
Denise Della Villa

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 10:54 am

Just a little FYI,

St. Anthony's Early Childhood center is run by St. Anthony's Church. It does house a Universal Pre-K but there are only 2 classes. It would not be possible for the District to "lease" this space because St. Anthony's runs their own Daycare center and Religious Instruction in this building. This is not an option.

I know this information because I am a parent of current students in the Religious Instruction, previous parent of children in the UPK program at St. Anthony's, St. Anthony's early childhood program and summer camp program.

Maybe before stating that the district could use this space you should do your homework and find out what the space is current used as.
Back to top Go down
lynmiglino

PostSubject: Howe School   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 11:24 am

I am a mother of 4 children, 3 have gone through Howe Successfully and I have a second grader in howe currently.

I do not want Howe to close or Move students. Our community is tight and I feel Central Park will only serve to dissolve this. Our options at Howe in the multicultural area is something I do not want to give up. At CP there will be no other outside options other than Going to the park. Howe has been a part of the Upper Union St community, and has even had lunch trips to Union with teachers as well as the principle. We have all worked hard, whether we go to the PTO or not, to keep our community close. It is evident at any Parent invited event, especially at our international Dinner which the Superintendent should attend (bring a dish, tho).

Also, the school holds a rich history as a SCHOOL. The children know this, and I think their comfortability in its layout is vital. They see their last year teachers, they say hello, and my you are growing. I think the historic nature of the building is intense, the gargoyles are incredible and I have always been proud to say I am a Howe Parent.

I have not weighed in on this before, so I am saying my thoughts now. I have talked with the Upper Union St business' and I hear their reasons for not wanting Howe to go. Also, as a munticulteral international Magnet how can we give up spanish or the teachers from China, Thailand or Turkey? If the building needs to be FIXED. We can find a way. But to build over it, Not a chance. It stands as it is as a monumont to good education, dedicated teachers, and most involved parents and community...

No, I am not in support of the Proposal. If you need a K-8 - Look into a Waldorf Magnet. They're the best and only proposal I'll support.
Lyn Miglino - Mom of 4 Kodesch Children
Back to top Go down
wachala1

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 11:25 am

Denise,

I did call St. Anthony's yesterday and was advised of the other classes there. That's why I posted my original thought that the UPK program could be expanded if Schenectady leased additional space. FYI, there are still 2 openings in the universal pre-k now (the director is getting back to me as 2 students who signed up for the program haven't been attending).

Also, my daughter currently attends Fulton Pre-k now and I was hoping my littlest son (who just turned 3) could attend the St. Anthony's program and then go to the UPK there. That's why I looked into the program.

The statements made that there were no pre-k's on the North side of town were not true. Therefore, the original proposal lead many to believe that a Pre-k at Howe would solve our North side "problem" which is false.

Thanks,
Joyce
Back to top Go down
Parent&Homeowner

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 11:49 am

This is a very difficult subject because it deals with our children and I’ve been stressed out enough as I think others on here have, with that being said, I am signing off. I hope those that continue on until they lock it are here truly for the right reasons and not for how things are going to affect the sale pitch on their properties or anything like that. Since I am the type to see a glass as half full, I have faith in the Board Members to make the decision they feel is best for the district, call it a blind leap of faith if you want but I think the board members know and see a lot of things we do not.
My focus is going to my child instead of this discussion, so I wish all well. Good luck to all the families this decision will affect this fall!
Back to top Go down
E.Connell

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 1:48 pm

The more I think about this proposal the less I like it. We should as a district be focusing on what is best for all our schools. How another magnet school will help I do not understand. We, as a district should be striving for k-8 in all our schools, starting with the ones that a majority of our children attend, and not just the Magnet schools, one is already going to be a K-8. I really would like to know why Howe was/is the focus of this proposal, why not PV or Paige or Zoeller........?
Back to top Go down
JAG

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 1:57 pm

Just wanted to say to the people that seem to like all the tension and bickering on here that you really need to get a life! If this is about everyone’s kids then seeing all the different hour’s people post on here, where are they? Is anyone doing anything with their kids anymore? One poster on here seemed to get it; of course it took awhile but at least they got it. Who cares who goes where or gets what first all the kids are still getting a good education. Let those that be make the decision, it’s almost over so chill!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mom2myKids

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 2:20 pm

As E.Connell said:
Quote :
I really would like to know why Howe was/is the focus of this proposal, why not PV or Paige or Zoeller........?
I have wondered the same thing. I don't have strong feelings for or against any of the proposals because my kids won't being going to Howe but another school in the district. I've heard wonderful things about Howe and how sucessful it is and keep wondering why not try this proposal with another school that is not doing so well, see if we can improve that school by turning it into a k-8? The proposals do affect the entire district because of feeder schools. I'm a bit disappointed that so much empasis has been put on Howe, what about my child's school that I've called the district about numerous times? What about the problems there that are never solved? I like others ideas about doing what's best for all the kids in the district. I'd like to see some basic across the board things that all kids get, at all the elementary schools rather than just a few.
Back to top Go down
JAG

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 2:57 pm

I don't recall, a big fuss when the magnets added 6th grade or were all the other schools mad over that too, so why not let the magnet schools (king & howe) be the first to go k-8, let them figure out all the pros & cons then start adding to the other schools in the district. It's not about favoritism so get over it people! When is all this madness going to end!
Back to top Go down
wachala1

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 6:55 pm

JAG,

The madness ends March 4th (next week) at the Board of Education meeting when they vote on the proposal. The decision will be made then.
Back to top Go down
lafeal

PostSubject: Used Bar Soap at the High School got me started up again   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 EmptySun 01 Mar 2009, 12:07 am

I can not believe that the bathrooms at the High School has bar soap. Here we are laying off staff, BUT plans to spend money for a K-8 to move water fountains at levels for a 4&5 year old, decorate the CP building for the youngsters, add a new playground. And the Biulding Faucilty Dept can't put a SOAP DISPENSER in the bathrooms.

I know I said this before, but I still believe we should look at the 9th grade level and take them out of the High School. I understand that there is a large amount of Freshmans, but maybe they could have MP and leave 7th & 8TH graders to CP and Onieda. I don't know just a suggestion. I just don't want to lose CP as my childrens "Community" Middle School.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next