Schenectady City School District Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

High School Business Program - if cut where would that leave Global Commerce

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sandra

High School Business Program - if cut where would that leave Global Commerce Empty
PostSubject: High School Business Program - if cut where would that leave Global Commerce   High School Business Program - if cut where would that leave Global Commerce EmptyThu 02 Apr 2009, 7:08 pm

THere are four outstanding smaller learning communities at the high school and Global Commerce is one that is newer and is still in a positive development phase. This house is the most diverse with the least number of IB students but the students do have an interest in business. Why would the school district even consider cutting the high school business program, whihc would decimate this house and take away the central focus? If Business is cut, will other houses also get their core programs cut or is it easy for the district administration to single out one house and one program? Why should business be any less valuable than fine arts. technology or the humanities? What are the views of the Global Commerce staff about this potential cut and can they even share their views without worrying about repercussions?
Back to top Go down
Sandra

High School Business Program - if cut where would that leave Global Commerce Empty
PostSubject: email sent today to administration regarding Global Commerce   High School Business Program - if cut where would that leave Global Commerce EmptyThu 02 Apr 2009, 7:41 pm

Hello Superintendent Ely, Dr. Roberts, and Mr. Comley,

I realize that I will probably not get a response to this email but thought I would at least express my concerns about the budget cuts. How can the school district even consider cutting the High School Business Program, which is the core area for Global Cmmerce? Global Commerce is the most diverse house, has the least number of IB students, comes in last each year for recruitment numbers and is already going to lose the house principal. I realize Technology, Humanities and Fine Arts are also important but high school business classes provide the chance for the students to learn real world skills.

Did the Global Commerce staff have the courtesy of knowing their core area could be cut out of the high school curriculum or were they blindsided after the board meeting? If they were not informed that the business program was on the chopping block, how can the district administration let them have to find out the news after the board meeting occurred?

I may have moved 1000 miles away but for my kids, being in Global Commerce was the experience of a lifetime and it is hard to believe that the school district would just throw this smaller learning community under the bus. If there are cuts at the high school, please consider spreading them throughout the programming of all four houses instead of eliminiating the core focus of the most amazing house.

Sandra
Back to top Go down

High School Business Program - if cut where would that leave Global Commerce
Page 1 of 1